Friday, June 3, 2016

Exercise, moving on

Exercise and movement have always been important to me. In high school and college I was a swimmer and serious equestrienne.  I ran and did high impact aerobics too. I have enough exercise DVd's to start a library. I still ride, although much less often and my rides tend to be gentle hacks rather than hard core show jumping over a 4 foot course.

What I have discovered is that I simply can't do those types of things right now. I now longer "bounce" when I take a fall from a horse I'm riding. I also have arthritis in my foot and ankle, the result of those long runs and aerobics. That does not mean I intend to fall into middle aged schlub. Not at all.

I discovered Barre3 when a studio opened up close to my house in January. Right from the first class, I was hooked. I've done barre classes before but always felt like the ugly duck among the thin, blond lulu lemon wearing clones. Not at Barre3. There are folks there of all ages and sizes, cheering each other on and sweating like crazy. Now, I go almost every day. They have a 6 am class everyday all week, which I never miss. They also have a great website with tons of videos that I can do if I am traveling on business.

The work out itself is amazing. It's completely low impact, not jumping, jolting or jarring. There are modifications for everything. Its all about balance and listening to your body but don't think it's not a kick ass work out. I end up dripping with sweat and shaking after every workout. But feeling so good I can't wait to come back.

Most importantly, I feel strong in a way I haven't in a long time. And that's a good thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment