Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Fashion in the Second Half




This is my, and hubby, very recently. One of the things I've noticed as I started this new project is that I have almost no pictures of my. This is a weekend shot taken by one of the kids on a recent trip to Half Moon Bay. It's not really a fashion shot, but for now it's the best I can do. I'll have to enlist the help of the kids to get a few more. So today I will described, then I'll try to get some pictures to illustrate.

I've always been a fan of the classic and traditional. I went to school on the East Coast and came home to California to go to law school. There are times I wish I'd never left but that's water long gone under the bridge. Anyway, after law school I ended up working in compliance for a large broker/dealer in downtown San Francisco, late 1990's. This was the traditional dark suit phase of my life. In early 2001 I had my first child and ended up staying home for several years when baby number 2 became babies 2 and 3 (twins), one of who had some developmental delays. Fashion there was about what you imagine when you have 3 under 3.

When I finally went back to work, again in broker/dealer compliance, this time at a bank, things had changed. I embraced the J Crew look of 2006. Think Emma Pillsbury, pencil skirt, cute top, cardigan and heels. Loved it.

Fast forward to now, it's 10 years later. First of all, that look is kind of over and second, things have changed. I'm now the Director of Compliance at a Silicon Valley hedge fund. And, well frankly, my feet hurt. I have arthritis and significant cartilage loss in my right foot and ankle, a souvenir from those cute heels! Plus, Silicon Valley is considerably more casual. My office is business casual, yet I manage a team of 4 and am one of the only 2 other senior women so I want to project authority.

My solution? Tailored cropped pants, shells or sweaters and blazers worn with classic pointed flats or loafers. I have short hair and narrow shoulders and somehow, no matter how much I like the look of a sharp button down, they look wrong. I also think that skirts and most dresses, worn with flats, either look dumpy or juvenile. I love dresses and skirts and am still drawn to them, I just find myself not reaching for them. I'll try and get some snaps but hopefully you get the picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment